1. The agreement requires equal rental payments of $90,000 beginning on January 1, 2012.
2. The fair value of the building on January 1, 2012 is $550,000.
3. The building has an estimated economic life of 12 years, with an un-guaranteed residual value of $10,000. Kimberly-Clark depreciates similar buildings on the straight-line method.
4. The lease is nonrenewable. At the termination of the lease, the building reverts to the lessor.
5. Kimberly-Clark’s incremental borrowing rate is 12% per year. The lessor’s implicit rate is not known by Kimberly-Clark.
6. The yearly rental payment includes $3,088 of executory costs related to taxes on the property.
Prepare the journal entries on the lessee’s books to reflect the signing of the lease agreement and to record the payments and expenses related to this lease for the years 2012 and 2013. Kimberly-Clark’s corporate year end is December 31.